At Drew we believe that Religious Education (RE) contributes to the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of all children.
Religious Education is important for children to understand each other and to break down fear and prejudice.
Through practising skills such as tolerance or mutual respect, children recognise the diversity which exists within and between communities and amongst individuals. They learn to appreciate the different ways of life and different ways of expressing meaning.
Our aims are to ensure children:
- Develop a sense of self, of community and of the world beyond.
- Gain the knowledge and understanding of different religious beliefs, ways of life, symbols, social rules and customs.
- Realise questions about the different Gods and religion can be interpreted in different ways.
- Are able to develop their own values, beliefs and attitudes through reflection of their own and others’ experiences.
- Show sensitivity, tolerance and respect for their own and other’s feelings and actions.
Click here to access the Newham syllabus.
If any parents have any concern about their child receiving any Religious Education, please contact the school office.
PSHE and C
PSHE and C is underpinned by mindfulness – the teaching of information and skills to empower children to learn now and improve their life chances later and aiming to help them to develop personal awareness.
This enables them to observe their own thoughts and feelings, regulate them and make conscious decisions about their learning, behaviour and lives. The scheme of work brings together PSHE education, emotional literacy, social skills and spiritual development.
Children are taught to:
- Develop confidence and have a sense of purpose.
- Value themselves and others.
- Celebrate the differences between people, thus showing respect for others regardless of race, gender, faith and mental or physical ability.
- Take responsibility for their learning and make the most of their skills.
- Act responsibly and make informed decisions.
- Play an active role as citizens both in school and within the wider community.
- Develop relationships with others and communicate effectively with them.
- Live a healthy, fulfilled and safe lifestyle.
Click here to access the RE and PSHE Curriculum Map 2019.