Art is a subject which enables pupils to be creative in a variety of different ways.
Children think critically and design products to reflect the way in which they see and understand the world.
In Key Stage 1, pupils are taught to:
- Use a range of materials creatively to design and make products.
- Use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination.
- Develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space.
- Describe the differences and similarities between the work of different artists, craft makers and designers, and make links to their own work.
In Key Stage 2, pupils are taught:
- To create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas.
- To improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- About great artists, architects and designers in history.